RE: [CALBIRDS] (unknown)

  • Garry George
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2004
      Welcome to the world of bird watching.

      Can't be sure as gray and orange are not really a combination seen in the
      West very often. You don't say where you are so not sure what is possible.

      But I can suggest that it might be a Western Tanager as they are migrating
      through California right now. Perhaps the bird was in a shadow and you saw
      the yellow on the body as gray. But the wings should be contrasting to the
      body and darker black. The orange head is a good field mark, though if it's
      a male. Perhaps you saw a female. She would be gray and yellow, but not have
      an orange head. Perhaps it was a juvenile or a bird just coming into
      breeding plumage. There are a few different plumage variations. Do you have
      a field guide? Try David Sibley's THE SIBLEY GUIDE TO BIRDS.

      These birds eat insects primarily so it's unlikely that you'll attract them
      to your yard to a feeder, but you could provide a water feature that makes a
      splashing noise. As they fly over in migration, they'll hear that noise and
      come in. And you'll be doing them a favor with a refreshment on that long
      journey. Make sure the water is shallow and away from predators especially
      cats. And that there is plenty of foliage around it of different heighths so
      the bird can hide on it's way in and out. When you hear the bird hide
      behind your window with a pair of binoculars and watch. That's what I do!

      Garry George

      Los Angeles

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2009
        *The previous message which appears to come from Kris is a link to a
        malicious site that will try to infect your computer. DO NOT CLINK THE
        LINK!*

        Kris - your PC may be infected...

        --
        Peter Headland