Monterey Seabirds trip report

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 4:40 PM
      Apologies for reposting, I neglected to sign off properly.

      RW

      We were lucky to experience an incredibly dramatic interaction between a
      pod of Killer Whales and a Gray Whale mother and her calf on our
      Monterey Seabirds Mother's Day outing. The outcome was appropriate for
      the holiday. We also saw 3 Flesh-footed Shearwaters.

      From the main page at http://www.montereyseabirds.com go to trip reports.

      To see the action go to the May 9 report. There is a photo sequence
      which is an animated gif, if you click on any image it will take a short
      while to load if people are using a dial-up modem, but it can be seen in
      any browser without plugins.

      Also, just added to the website is a trip report from our recent journey
      to the Sea of Cortez.
      Enjoy!

      Our next trip is scheduled for June 13.

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe
      Soquel, CA

    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
        The trip report for our last trip featuring Martijn Verdoes' photos is
        up on the Monterey Seabirding blog at:
        http://montereyseabirding.blogspot.com/2011/08/aug-20-2011-trip-report.html

        More photos are also up on the Monterey Seabirds Facebook page.

        We are looking for more birders to join us this weekend as we have a 12
        hour offshore albacore grounds trip next Saturday Aug. 27 that in past
        years has turned up rarities like STREAKED, WEDGE-TAILED and MANX
        SHEARWATERS, CRAVERI'S MURRELET, HORNED PUFFIN, LAYSAN ALBATROSS and
        last year we had a GREAT-WINGED PETREL for the third North American
        record. These long trips are productive!

        See trip reports at: http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReports.htm

        We will host an 8 hour trip the following day on Sunday, Aug. 28 and
        there are a plenty of spaces still open for that one. Both trips will
        have plenty of elbow room for photographers to pan with big lenses.

        See our website for details, trip reports and trip registration or call
        831 375-4658 to reserve.
        http://www.montereyseabirds.com

        Regards,
        Roger Wolfe
        Soquel Canyon, CA, USA
      • Roger Wolfe
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2011
          Thank you to those of you who showed up for the Monterey Seabirds trip
          last Saturday and to those of you who sent emails in a show of support!
          Much appreciated.

          We had an action packed pelagic trip out of Monterey last Saturday. Lots
          of bird activity (5 species of shearwaters) kept us busy but alas no
          megararity. That trip report with Blake Matheson photos is at:
          http://montereyseabirding.blogspot.com/

          Our trip this Sunday, October 23rd is a go. Please join us. Todd
          Easterla will be on board with our other friendly spotters.

          Our final trip of 2011 is on the schedule for Oct. 29th and there are
          plenty of spaces available. October is an exciting time to get out on
          the ocean. Cost for these two trips in $120 each. You can call 831
          375-4658 to reserve or do it online at http://www.montereyseabirds.com

          Regards,
          Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
          Soquel Canyon
        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2014
            The highlight for today's Monterey Seabirds pelagic trip was the great looks at a Manx Shearwater. I posted a photo on my website, on my recent photos gallery. But most impressive was the wonderful show put on by a herd of Rizzo's Dolphins with many jumping with acrobatic twists. I'll post photos tomorrow.

            Only a few Buller's Shearwaters, one Ashy and one Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel, quite a few Arctic Terns and Sabine's Gulls, and other shearwaters around the boat all day.

            John

            John Sterling
            VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

            26 Palm Ave