Re: [CVBirds] Bird Migration Radar Images

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      Jim Gain says:

      > I have been following the TexBirds email last night about a massive bird
      > liftoff during the night that they have been following on the NEXRAD
      > website. So, naturally curious to see how it looked over the valley, I
      > checked it out. WOW
      >
      > There is a huge flight of birds over the central valley right now. I started
      > checking from the San Diego area and moved north. There is only a little
      > movement right now down south, but by the time you look at the Fresno area,
      > the radar screen is full.
      >
      > Go to http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/ and click on an area, then
      > click on the image to see the direction of the flocks. They are moving due
      > north.

      Great site. I had no idea these radar images were so accessible.

      Can you give us some more details on what/how to select on this screen?
      Velocity? Reflectivity? Regional?

      And what times are best (in UTC)?

      -Chris Illes
      San Jose
      Help other people.
      Help the earth.
      (==)

      "life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
      in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
      thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - wow! what a
      ride!"