Fallbrook (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Just went exploring today, trying to find some new roads to start birding.
      After perusing the county map decided to check out Willow Glen Road up near
      Fallbrook, followed by De Luz Road; I had been in the area years ago to check out
      trailheads for the Santa Margarita River, but never returned because I
      considered them too strenuous (I know; I'm a wimp...). But I thought maybe just
      birding the roads themselves might be productive, and they certainly were!

      I stopped every half mile on Willow Glen, because it was only about four
      miles or so long; finding places to pull over on the pavement on the way in was
      tricky, so I would save birding that part of the road for your return trip, as
      there are several good pulloffs going out. You follow a wonderful oak/willow
      riparian area going in (I guess an offshoot of the Santa Margarita River,
      according to the map), and once the road turns to dirt, it's easier to pull over
      and listen; here you ARE right next to the Santa Margarita River, which is
      closed to the public but managed by the Nature Conservancy and SDSU, I guess. But
      you can still hear oodles of stuff from the road, including Yellow-breasted
      Chats and Bell's Vireos. There were lots of Yellow Warblers along this road as
      well, as well as a Belted Kingfisher and Black-chinned Hummingbird. The road
      rises at one point and you get a beautiful view (there's also a lot of ag and
      chaparral in here), where I believe Rough-winged Swallows may have been
      nesting in the dirt "cut away". Also had Rufous-crowned Sparrow along here. At the
      end of the road (it's tempting to walk in, but I don't think you're supposed
      to) had singing Warbling Vireos. I was pleased with the large number of chats
      I heard along this road!

      Headed over to De Luz Road after that, which was wonderful, but again,
      finding places to pull over can be dicey. There's more lush oak/willow riparian
      area along in here, as well as some grassland and oak savannah near Camp
      Pendelton and rural ranch stuff. I was being pretty strict on the "stop on the mile"
      just to feel the place out, so I ended up not actually stopping at the
      grasslands; I'll have to make a point to stop at those habitats next time, because
      they looked too good NOT to check! But it was another wonderful road with not
      too much traffic; I think it was about ten miles long altogether; De Luz Road
      itself bears right just past the "town" of De Luz, but I kept going straight to
      take the dirt road (it turns to pavement again at the county line, so it was
      easier to tell where the border was) There are still quite a few private
      homes back here, and you cross a little streambed (dry right now) before hitting
      the pavement again. By continuing on that road (Carancho) you can turn left
      where De Luz Road crosses Carancho, then turn right at Rancho California Road,
      which takes you to the freeway. And what a drive! It's gorgeous up there!

      This road logged a goodly number of species as well, similar to Willow Glen,
      but with Oak Titmouse, Lazuli Bunting, Blue Grosbeak, Killdeer, Phainopepla,
      and Western Bluebird as well. Here's the bird list for both roads:

      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Bell's Vireo Vireo bellii
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      Warbling Vireo Vireo gilvus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens
      Western Tanager Piranga ludoviciana
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea
      Lazuli Bunting Passerina amoena
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus