Deep Water Pelagic Trip This Saturday

  • Bernardo Alps
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2004
      Sorry for the cross posting.

      There are still spaces available on the deep water pelagic trip to the Arguello Canyon and Rodriguez Seamount area of the continental shelf aboard the "Condor Express" out of Santa Barbara, California, this Saturday, 17 April. This trip leaves at 5:00 a.m. and at first light we should just be passing Point Conception on our way to the deep water. Normally we try to make it to San Miguel Island and/or Richardson Rock just before sunset and are back at the dock between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m. The cost is $175 per person.

      The "Condor Express" has to be the best vessel for this kind of trip on the West Coast. A high speed catamaran, it is extremely stable and covers over twice as much "ground" in a day than any other boat. April is arguably the best month to go looking for rarities off Southern California, but this year could be even better. The water temperature has been below average, but there is a current of warm water offshore. The areas where water of different temperatures comes together is where things happen out there, it is where the fish are and the marine mammals and the birds. Day boats out of San Diego have been catching albacore, blue fin tuna and yellowtail in March, which is all but unheard of. If you are going on only one pelagic trip this year, this should be it.

      See the "Condor Express" website for more info at http://www.condorcruises.com/index.html

      Hope to see you on the boat,

      Bernardo

      Bernardo Alps