RE: [CALBIRDS] Curlew Sandpiper at Salton Sea 4/9

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2004
      Hi all,

      Birded the morning with Dr. Steve Weber, his wife Susan and my wife Lea
      Anne.

      Spent about two hours at Red Hill this morning at sunup and did not locate
      the Curlew Sandpiper. A large flight of Dunlin must have come in last night
      as there were about a hundred of them out there this morning and only a few
      yesterday. When we left, none of the shorebirds had moved in to the near
      shores yet so I suspect that later in the day, when it gets a little more
      toasty, one might have a good chance of relocating this bird.

      Other birds of note, Heermann's Gull and four Ruddy Turnstones on the rocks
      west of Obsidian Butte. The Roseate Spoonbill was still in the dead trees
      due west of the end of Bowles Road. I have not heard a report of it being
      seen anywhere else!? Is it going out to feed? The Horned Grebe was at the
      end of Bowles as well. Ruddy Ground-Doves are calling and three were seen
      at the intersection of Eddins and Sperry.

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER
      Southwest Birders