doves, pigeons, and others

  • tertial
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 10:19 AM
      I just returned from a week-long trip to Jalama Beach (Santa Barbara
      Co.) and a visit to my parents in Calabasas (LA Co.), with some stops
      at other sites. Highlights are as follows:

      EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES were very vocal and easy to find at San
      Lorenzo Regional Park in King City, Monterey Co. Is this a known
      population?

      BAND-TAILED PIGEONS were observed from hwy 101 in SLO Co., in
      Calabasas (yard first for my parents), and in Woodland Hills.

      Jalama Beach highlights included a first-year THAYER'S GULL on Apr 4;
      LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES and HOODED ORIOLES daily; thousands of loons
      flying by north on Apr 5 and 6 (100/minute during the morning hours);
      and nocturnal (!) SNOWY PLOVERS (10 present nightly after 10pm, but
      were not to be found anywhere within a mile each direction in the
      daytime); and a PEREGRINE FALCON over the Vandenburg cliffs. Lots of
      nest holes were visible in the cliffs, several (but by no means all)
      of which were occupied by starlings. In the course of a few days, I
      ended up tallying most western gulls and shorebird species.

      Finally, yesterday (Apr 9) at Castaic Lake there were plentiful GREAT-
      TAILED GRACKLES (my how they've occupied the area).

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA