Hot Springs Mnt and Cow Canyon (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Marjorie Hastings joined me today as we braved Hot Springs Mountain once
      again (the last time I tried it I almost slid off the mountain due to the snow)!
      Best part of the whole day was the scenery: it was just gorgeous up there!
      Aside from the occasional rain-rut, the road going up was pretty good, but the
      road coming down the other side was pretty dicey in spots (brought back
      memories of that mis-adventure down Rodriguez Canyon)! Bird-wise we got a good
      selection: Oak Titmice and Black-chinned Sparrows were numerous, and we actually
      SAW a pair of Mountain Quail up in the higher stuff (they were calling all
      over)! Had a Purple Finch at the turnoff up top, as well as lots of chickadees and
      Steller's Jays. Picked up a Robin down at the bottom, and on the wide road
      next to the meadows and creek we also had a Lark Sparrow bouncing across. On
      the way out Marjorie spotted three Turkeys in a gathering of Mule Deer!

      Headed up into Cow Canyon after that, picking up Ring-necked Duck,
      Great-tailed Grackle, and Red-winged Blackbird at the pond in the trailer park at the
      beginning of the road. Heading up we had the only Rufous-crowned Sparrow of the
      day near the first mile, plus a Rock Wren. More Black-chinned Sparrows sang
      (I never get tired of them), plus tons of towhees, but unfortunately couldn't
      kick up any Gray Vireos at the spots where I had them during the Atlas
      project. In the woodland had Nuttall's Woodpecker and a curious female Anna's Hummer
      that came in to pishing! Added a singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet in here, and
      as we made our way towards Indian Flats saw the biggest praise of the day: they
      had built a bridge over that "lake" that often blocks the road, so that now
      the road between Cow Canyon and Lost Valley is completely passable!! Boy, was
      I glad to see that! I made the decision right then and there to combine these
      two roads for survey purposes, and just headed on in, picking up dueling
      Hutton's Vireos at the "marsh"!

      The campground was closed, but further stops finally produced a half-hearted
      chortle out of one Gray Vireo, which Marjorie didn't hear unfortunately. I
      guess I hadn't been up Lost Valley in awhile because there had been tremendous
      fire damage along there, but the only major fire I recall even close to that
      area was several years ago (maybe someone can enlighten me on that). Down near
      the bottom we did manage to add Sage Sparrow to the list.

      This is a quickie report, gang; sorry! Oh, we stopped at Ramona Pond real
      quick, too, on the way home. Here's the bird list:

      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Ring-necked Duck Aythya collaris
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Band-tailed Pigeon Patagioenas fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Violet-green Swallow Tachycineta thalassina
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      Gray Vireo Vireo vicinior
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
      Black-chinned Sparrow Spizella atrogularis
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Sage Sparrow Amphispiza belli
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Tricolored Blackbird Agelaius tricolor
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

      64 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...
      San Diego, CA