LeConte's Thrasher offer

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2004
      Hi all,

      It is hard to impress upon you how impressed I am with the birding in the
      Imperial Sand Dunes and the Algodones Dunes Wilderness Area. The bugs,
      mammals, lizards and snakes are bonus attractions. Doing point counts and
      bird surveys is interesting but the fun part is the exploration.

      This is short notice but I am going out Sunday morning, April 11, my day
      off, and am inviting anyone who would like to see LeConte's Thrasher to join
      me. Call it an Easter egg hunt of the natural variety! This will be a
      serious hike through soft sand on uneven ground for three to five miles. It
      will be WARM. There are poisonous snakes and every plant has spines. You
      will have to carry a lot of water. Your phone will probably not work out
      there. It will be one of the most beautiful places you will ever see.
      There will be thousands of ATV's (no cussing please) in the open areas north
      of us but not in the wilderness where we will be. We will have to start
      EARLY....EARLY!! I am talking about being on foot and headed into the
      dunes by 0545 so we would have to meet at the Glamis Store at 0500. Glamis
      Store is about one hour east of Brawley on Hwy 78. Please call me if you
      are interested and leave a message if you do not reach me because my phone
      does not work out there either and that is where I will be when the sun
      comes up in the morning!

      Have been seeing LeConte's Thrashers almost every day. Found a group on
      Tuesday that I thought were probably adults with young and today found two
      more adults with young! Have to look up the total but I think the number is
      about 18 or 20 individuals that have been seen in the past two weeks.

      Deer are starting to move back into the pockets for fawning and we are
      seeing fresh tracks more frequently.

      Orioles, warblers, Lazuli Bunting and other migrants are picking up more.

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER
      Southwest Birders