Range extensions? Eurasian Collared Doves in Nipomo. Great-tailed Grackle in Vallejo

  • snorkler@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 8:48 PM
      I visited a friend's ranch in Nipomo (about 20 miles south of San Luis
      Obispo, SLO County) last Sunday April 4 and saw for my first time,
      Eurasian Collared Doves on her family property. She said she first
      noticed them about 2 years ago there. She recently bought a home in the
      town center of Nipomo. We were visiting there (about a mile north of her
      family's ranch) and I noticed another pair of Eurasian Collared Doves in
      that neighborhood.

      Last Christmas, I observed a singing male Great-tailed Grackle on the
      Pismo Beach Pier (San Luis Obispo County).

      Sunday April 4, Jerry Karr (past-president of Napa-Solano Audubon
      Society) reported seeing a Great-tailed Grackle in Vallejo (Solano
      County)on the old K-Mart building near the corner of Redwood and Sonoma
      Blvds. There's a marsh behind the store. This is about 10 miles
      west-northwest of the known population of Great-tailed Grackles at
      McNabney Marsh in Marinez (Contra Costa County).

      It's been about 10 years since I've seen Spotted Doves in my parents'
      neighborhood in Camarillo, CA (Ventura County). I used to regularly see
      that species in their neighborhood, about a mile northwest of City Hall.

      Darrell Lee
      Alameda, CA
      snorkler@...

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!