Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI - Central & Southern California

  • Richard Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
      White-winged Scoter

      >Rare -- Try west end of San Mateo Bridge

      Black Scoter

      > Rare Try west end of San Mateo Bridge

      Bufflehead* - I still don't have this on my ABA list, despite 5 trips to
      North America!

      >Common at Mountain View's Shoreline Lake and adjacent Palo Alto Flood basin
      Take San Antonio exit off 101

      Common Goldeneye

      >Common at Mountain View's Shoreline Lake and adjacent Palo Alto Flood basin
      Take San Antonio exit off 101

      Barrow's Goldeneye* - a visit to Lake Merritt in Oakland on the way down to
      Monterey might be possible. Are we likely to have any luck?

      >Regular at Mountain View's Shoreline Lake Take San Antonio exit off 101

      Prairie Falcon*

      >Regular in Sunol Regional Park -- Take Welch road to near top

      Pacific Golden Plover

      > Try Moss Landing

      Mountain Plover*

      >> Good LUCK!!!

      Mew Gull

      > Common at San Jose Sewage treatment plant in Alviso
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
        At 06:12 PM 2001-10-10 +0100, Robert Grimmond wrote:
        >Our schedule will start at Monterey (whale watching trip), then we'll work
        >our way to Santa Maria/Orcutt, Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Ventura (trip to
        >Santa Cruz Island for Island Scrub Jay), Death Valley, Jawbone Canyon,
        >Maricopa, Carrizo Plain, San Luis Obispo, possibly Panoche Valley and,
        >finally, Merced and San Luis NWRs.
        >
        >I've got the standard reference works, including John Kemper's and Brad
        >Schram's but I'd very much appreciate current information on locating any
        >of the following species (those marked with an asterisk would be lifers
        >for me):

        Rob,

        >White-winged Scoter
        >
        >Black Scoter

        Somewhat early for these birds, but check the local lists and SoCal Birdbox
        when you're in Ventura. These can sometimes be found along PCH at and east
        of Mugu Rock, as well as in LA Co. at and east of Ballona Creek.

        >Bufflehead* - I still don't have this on my ABA list, despite 5 trips to
        >North America!

        Most large fresh water lakes, Saticoy Settling Ponds (see Schram's Ventura
        coverage)

        >Prairie Falcon*

        I saw one about a week ago at Silver Saddle resort at Galileo Hill. Best
        bet in SoCal is Antelope Valley along Ave. A and Gaskell Rd. between 100th
        W. and 200th W.

        >Pacific Golden Plover
        >
        >Mountain Plover*

        While in Ventura, try the sod farms on Casper and Arnold roads and Hueneme
        Rd. at Casper. Mt. Plovers can also be found in the above area of Antelope
        Valley, and on the east side in the area of Ave. M, Ave. N, 50th E. and
        100th E.

        >Mew Gull
        >
        >Thayer's Gull*

        better in the north this early.

        >Lewis's Woodpecker* - I've given up on Mines Road after two previous
        >failures! I believe Pozo Road is a possibility but I've also seen references
        >on mailing lists to Zaca Station Road and Farren Road in previous winters.
        >Are they worth trying - if so how do I find them?

        Saw one of these a week ago at Galileo Hill, too. In Ventura, try Canada
        Larga. If you come towards LA, also try Cheseboro Canyon off of US-101 in
        Agoura Hills.

        >Le Conte's Thrasher* - I know the standard response is that this species is
        >very difficult outside of the breeding season but we're going to have a
        >go! We'll try Jawbone Canyon, then Maricopa. Unfortunately I've not been
        >able to locate a recording of the bird's call (I have the song) but I've
        >seen it referred to as a rising, plover-like, 'tu-weep'. Can anyone offer
        >any good comparison species? Do the birds sing at all in November?

        I've pulled these in by playing the song in December at Maricopa.

        >California Gnatcatcher* - I've seen a report that this species extends as
        >far as the Simi Valley. Is this correct because we'll pass nearby on our way
        >to Ridgecrest and Death Valley?

        Forget this. If you want a good chance at seeing them, your choices are
        Forrestal Dr. on Palos Verdes Peninsula, or Upper Newport Bay (the only
        place I've had any luck).

        >'Bell's' Sage Sparrow

        Backbone Trail above Circle X Ranch in eastern Ventura Co. Take PCH to
        Yerba Buena Rd. (at Neptune's Net Restaurant). Go north. Continue past the
        Circle X HQ until you see a parking lot entrance on the left after a sharp
        left-hand hairpin turn. Park here and hike up the hill. If you get to the T
        in the trail, go right. Best in early morning.

        >I've not included birds such as Snow and Ross's* Geese since these should
        >hopefully be straightforward at Merced.

        If you miss Ross's Goose, there is one resident near the boat launch ramp
        on Balboa Lake in Van Nuys.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22