Lake Hodges Area (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17 2:31 PM
      Hi, all!

      There were a couple of spots up around Escondido I wanted to cover for March,
      both of which open later in the morning, so started at Lake Hodges at the
      Joslyn Senior Center to kill time before 8:00. I hadn't birded that trail in
      awhile, and this was the first time I could see NO water whatesoever at the
      turnaround point. But I was glad to find a pair of California Gnatcatchers around,
      at least! A cute male Kestrel giarded one of the kiosks, and there was also
      a young female (I'm assuming because she was huge) Red-tailed Hawk hanging
      around on the telephone pole, and when I came back she was sitting on some rocks
      in perfect light; just gorgeous! Cassin's Kingbirds were chasing each other,
      as well as California Towhees doing the same; spring is in the air!

      Elfin Forest was open by then, so swung by there and enjoyed the cacophany of
      House Wrens singing in the oak woodland, picking up the Belted Kingfisher
      that always seems to be there! A pair of Mallards hung out at the creek crossing
      along the north end of the trail, and a nice male Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
      (complete with "Groucho Marks brows") sang his buzzy song in a blooming bush.
      Three Acorn Woodpeckers chased each other in a dead tree near the parking lot.

      By the time I was done with that Felicita Park was open, so I took the back
      way to avoid the freeway traffic and swung in, enjoying their delightful little
      nature trail first thing for once (usually I get there mid-day). House Wrens
      and Crows were all over, and a Wilson's Warbler was high in the oaks along
      with the more common Orangecrowns and Butterbutts. Had my first Pacific-slope
      Flycatcher of the season, and almost fainted when I heard a pheasant crow; I
      figured he must have gotten away from someone! Titmice sang back at the car.

      Last stop was the Del Dios Trail, where there was more oak woodland fare, but
      the biggest surprise was a Mountain Chickadee, doubtless driven down by the
      fires! Once down by the water picked up several waterbirds including both
      Western and Clark's Grebes, a decent-sized group of American Wigeon and Ruddy
      Ducks, plus a few Gadwall, Shovelers, and a couple of White Pelicans across the
      way.

      It was getting pretty darn warm by the time I finished that up, so I headed
      home with 61 species for the day. Bird list:

      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      Clark's Grebe Aechmophorus clarkii
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Ring-necked Pheasant Phasianus colchicus
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      California Gnatcatcher Polioptila californica
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos