re: Swan in Klamath

  • Bob Power
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2004
      David Vander Pluym wrote:

      In any case here is the picture:
      http://www.noahstrycker.com/randompages/swan.htm I
      don't know anything else about it.
      --------------------------
      I e-mailed Noah Strycker, and here's the story to go
      with the photo and sketch. A california bird, by the
      way.
      Bob Power, Oakland, CA

      Bob,

      There has been some discussion in the last few days
      about the identity
      of this
      swan on OBOL. I went down to see it with a couple
      other people last
      weekend.
      The consensus at the moment seems to be that it is
      probably a Whooper
      Swan,
      with the slight possibility of Something Else
      ("bewick's" Tundra Swan,
      hybrid
      WhooperXTundra). The amount of yellow in the bill is
      on the low end of
      the
      scale for Whooper but it can be variable. Structurally
      it is right for
      Whooper.
      Anyway, the swan is on White Lake about 150 yards
      south of the state
      line, and
      apparently has been present there for a couple months.

      Feel free to post this on CalBirds, I am not
      subscribed and can't post
      there
      myself.

      Good birding,