Tijuana River Valley

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Only had a couple of places in the Valley to wrap up for March, but seeing as
      I didn't wanna battle the rush hour traffic going north, I just decided to
      stay there and get some additional data for other spots in the Valley.

      Started at Tijuana Valley Regional Park where the usual riparian things were
      singing and had the only Rough-winged Swallows of the day. One of the most
      prominent songbirds all morning was American Goldfinch! They were everywhere!
      Hutton's Vireo was nice to hear singing in here, too.

      I figured Border Field SP would probably be closed (which it was), but I
      noticed some new kiosks up near the entrance, so I decided to brave it and hike
      that trail going north from Montezuma Road. I discovered it made a nice little
      loop and was great for normal wetland stuff like Song Sparrows and
      Yellowthroats, but also had a couple of pairs of Harriers wheeling around, in addition to
      a White-tailed Kite! A Lawrence's Goldfinch tinkled overhead, and this was
      also the only place I had White-crowned Sparrow (!!!) and California Quail all
      morning! I noticed a cowbird trap, so I'll have to listen for Bell's Vireos
      later in the spring; I haven't surveyed this area at all, mainly cuz I was
      leery of illegals or vagrants, but I didn't run into anyone but the guys who were
      working on the entrance road!

      That was about the time I decided to stay in the Valley, so I wheeled over to
      Dairy Mart Ponds where I ran into an Audubon field trip (the "Fledgling"
      crowd, I found out later)! Ran into a guy who had taken my sparrow class (I am
      properly embarrassed that he recognized me but I can't recall his name... :-P)
      and won a new pair of bins as well! (He won the bins, not me...) They hadn't
      kicked up anything out of the ordinary, but he didn't blame me for being on my
      toes down there... Also ran into Ginger Laws and her husband, who told me
      she was expecting a report, so that kept me from being lazy this time... :-)
      There are a lot of Orange-crowned Warblers around, too; several were chasing
      each other where I ran into the Laws. A pair of Wrentits was particularly
      friendly back in the willows, and there was a nice variety of waterfowl in the
      ponds, as well as a night heron across the way. A male Ruddy Duck was trying to
      impress two females with his "bubbling" routine (too bad I couldn't hear it)!

      Took the freeway to Sunset Road after that, where it was getting pretty darn
      warm by now! The helos were doing their touch-n-gos, so it was kinda hard to
      hear at times, but picked up a handful of Lesser Goldfinches at the trailhead
      for a goldfinch sweep! Another White-tailed Kite sailed around, and a nice
      adult Cooper's Hawk jumped up on a dead tree. Heard the resident Downy
      Woodpecker, and at the resting spot a Cardinal joined the cacophy of Bewick's Wrens,
      Song Sparrows, and goldfinches.

      Last killer hike of the day was 5th Street at Tijuana Slough, where there was
      a ton of wigeon in the central ponds along with "Greg and Sneg". In the
      little tiny marsh I caught a Sora hitailing it back into the reeds, and a pair of
      Mallards were content to sit and mumble at me this time! Redwings hogged the
      big reed bed, and Belding's Sparrows were singing all over. A couple of
      flocks of Tree Swallows breezed by, with a token Cliff and Barn that I could pick
      out. In the helo fields were lots of Horned Larks, but only one Meadowlark;
      scared up a couple more of them heading out to the mouth, sounding strangely
      like Boblinks as they took off! That was bizarre!

      The mouth was pretty quiet; a pair of silent orange-billed terns flew by that
      I assumed were Royal this time of year (they seemed kinda big and bulky), but
      I see in my records where one year I surveyed this trail on March the 9th and
      evidently had a BIG flock of Elegants! So who knows... A pair of
      Long-billed Curlews fed on an island, and a big bunch of Avocets snoozed on the opposite
      bank. A lone Lesser Scaup was close to a small group of Buffleheads, and
      another small group of cormorants and gulls was in the sun. On the way to the
      little pond further north a small group of godwits and Willets flushed briefly,
      and the pond itself was pretty productive, with lots more wigeon and smaller
      numbers of Shovelers, Green-winged and Cinnamon Teal, Mallards, Gadwall, and
      Stilts (and coots, of course). The Clapper Rails came through on the way back,
      as well as a lone American Pipit.

      I was shot after that so headed home with 74 species for the day. Bird list:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Black-crowned Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris
      Sora Porzana carolina
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Royal (?) Tern Sterna maxima
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
      Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
      American Pipit Anthus rubescens
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      American Goldfinch Carduelis tristis
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah (Belding's) Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

      74 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe