Sapsucker migration question

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2004
      Birders

      With a few early spring migrants today on SCI (e.g., Tree Swallow, Mountain
      Bluebird), we found a male Red-breasted Sapsucker (ssp. daggetti) in the Prunus
      groves of Cave Canyon. This is the first March record for this species on
      SCI. Is it logical to assume that this bird likely wintered, or is it an
      appropriate time of year to expect a spring migrant sapsucker in SoCal? I have no
      experience in the matter, and my Garrett and Dunn is not accessible at the
      moment. Any help would be much obliged.

      thanks

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108