New MTY checklist on-line

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 3:33 PM
      Now available is a new resource: a complete, annotated, and illustrated
      checklist of the birds of Monterey County. It begins at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTYbirdlistportal.html
      which takes you to a portal page with links to the eleven segments of
      the illustrated checklist. To the extent possible, each species is
      illustrated with a photograph taken in Monterey County; the photos of
      over 35 photographers are included. I particularly thank Ron Branson,
      Bill Hill, Bob Tintle, and John Sorensen for use of their photos, and
      thank the Big Sur Ornithology Lab for in-hand shots when photos of birds
      in the wild were not available. You'll find that when photos of birds
      were not available, I've filled in to the extent possible with shots of
      specimens, sketches, or other details.

      Each species' status and distribution is summarized, using the
      bold-faced summaries from _Monterey Birds_ 2d ed., and there are links
      to individual species pages when available. These species pages will be
      added over time but, for now, an example is a Thayer's Gull page at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTYlistTHGU.html

      This project has been several months in the making, but yet a few
      species remain incomplete; e.g., no Monterey photos were located of
      Yellow-headed Blackbird or Evening Grosbeak. Do you have any? I welcome
      new photos that upgrade the presentation on the illustrated checklist,
      but they do need to be taken within Monterey County.

      I hope this unique resource is helpful to locals and visitors alike. I
      think this may be a unique project — I've not seen anything quite like
      it anywhere else. As always, comments and corrections are welcome.
      Please excuse the cross-posting.

      Don Roberson
      MTY bird records compiler