Spring & Summer pelagic trips 2004

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2004
      Hello, Seabirders,
      Its been a few weeks since I've ventured out for seabirds, and if you have
      the itch to get out there, like I do, Shearwater Journeys has a few spring
      and early summer trips lined up. Recently added to our schedule is a trip on
      Thursday, April 8 from Monterey. We also have a spring trip on Sunday, May
      23 from Monterey. Spring can be an excellent time to see Black-footed
      Albatrosses. Alcids should be in full alternate plumage, and we may catch
      some migrants such as Sabine's Gulls or Arctic Terns. Jaegers are
      particlarly beautiful at that time.

      Our summer set of trips includes Friday, June 25 from Monterey and Sunday,
      June 27 from Fort Bragg. We have set up these two trips so that folks
      travelling from out-of-state can maximize their seabirding by taking in both
      trips. This is the first time that a pelagic trip has been run out of Fort
      Bragg in June, I believe. Summer months can be great for southern hemisphere
      rarities. The closest trips to Fort Bragg that have been run in the summer
      have been from Bodega Bay. One of California's very few records of Crested
      Auklet was found during this time period from Bodega Bay. Great-winged
      Petrel has been recorded in July, and "Shy" Albatross as well (both from
      Bodega Bay). Bulwer's Petrel was found on a summer trip from Monterey. With
      Fort Bragg being one of the best places in North America for megarare
      seabirds anyway, a June trip could turn up anything.

      Early fall and late summer trips include: August 7 and 13 from Monterey;
      August 15 and 23 from Bodega Bay; August 17, 20, and 21 from Fort Bragg for
      megararities. Please check our web site for the latest updates.

      Hope to join you in seabirding this spring and summer,
      Debi
      ---
      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      Debi Shearwater <debiluv@...>