Method for Bird/Site Location Descriptions??

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      Group,

      I'm proposing here a method for RBAs and individuals posting to places
      like Calbirds to increase the resolution/accuracy of directions to
      birding sites and vagrants. This is specifically to those who post
      birding directions on the Internet. Feel free to copy this email to
      other groups.

      Let's say I want you to know the location of the Sonny Bono Salton Sea
      Wildlife Area Headquarters. It should be located in Imperial County,
      California on the northwest corner of Sinclair and Gentry (I believe).
      So this is what I could do.

      1. Using a program like Street Atlas or a Topo Program, or perhaps
      mapping websites that may show latitude/longitude I would find the
      location of that point. In my example, the headquarters should be N
      33 degrees 10.631 minutes and W 115 degrees and 36.909 minutes (taken
      from the Street Atlas Program). Note that 36.909 minutes is 36
      minutes and 55 seconds (55/60=.909 approx). I could also start with a
      GPS waypoint of an area that would show latitude and longitude.

      2. I would prepare a URL link in the general format:
      http://stevemorse.org/jcal/map.html?latitude=xxx&longitude=yyy

      where xxx and yyy are the desired latitude and longitude.

      Format of xxx and yyy are as follows:
      if xxx>=0, it is north latitude, otherwise south latitude
      if yyy>=0, it is east longitude, otherwise west longitude
      both xxx and yyy are decimal fractions, so 50.75 corresponds
      to 50 degrees 45 minutes

      3. So in my example it would be:
      http://stevemorse.org/jcal/map.html?latitude=33.1772&longitude=-115.6152
      Note the negative before the longitude number to force it to West.

      4. I would include the link in the posting I would make about the
      birding site or rare species.

      5. This link will take you to the free site of a colleague of mine,
      Stephen Morse. Steve is a well known computer genealogist who has
      developed search engines for the Ellis Island Immigrant database and
      for Census Location databases (that I and my volunteers have
      produced), among other search utilities.

      6. Activate the link, and you will see AT THE BOTTOM of the form,
      already filled in, the latitude and longitude components of the target
      (Sonny Bono Headquarters) defined in the URL. Now the reader can
      choose between a map of the area or an aerial photo. If you choose a
      map, one will appear but you will need to zoom down to see a higher
      resolution of features/streets for your target point. If you choose
      an aerial, reduce the maximum zoom AT THE BOTTOM by about 4 or 5
      levels before you ask for the photo. Also note the website will allow
      you to search for maps or aerials if you enter an address (top half).

      6. There are rounding errors in this approach...but the center you
      want should be less than 100 feet from what is shown. A number of
      things may reduce the resolution of this system including resolution
      problems with the original computer program (street atlas or topo
      program), errors in the GPS position, or/and possible errors of
      resolution on the websites used to generate the maps and aerial photos.

      However, I think this may have real merit. If you agree.... save this
      email, and have fun.

      Joel Weintraub, Dana Point
    • Chet Ogan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Joel and all,
        Again I will comment that in addition to the coordinate, you also
        need to designate the coordinate datum system used for your location.
        There is about a 200 meter difference along our west coast between a WGS
        and a NAD coordinate location. This may not make a difference when
        relocating a Ferruginous Hawk, but may make a big difference when
        relocating a Harris Sparrow. Again I would advocate using a metric UTM
        location instead of decimal latilongs, because I can pace off a distance in
        meters, or convert to feet, but I cannot pace in decimal degrees or
        minutes.
        Nautical charts and the DeLorme Atlas use WGS83, but USGS topographic
        maps use NAD27CONUS. Your GPS unit can convert between the Coordinate
        Datums or you can use a mapping system as described below or by using
        Topozone.com/ maps.

        Chet Ogan

        "wagtail1997"
        <orcorba@... To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com

[...]