Contra Costa Snow Bunting

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      Hi all,
      I have just returned from seeing the Contra Costa County Snow Bunting, found
      yesterday by Akira.
      To get there I would suggest exiting I-580 in Livermore at Vasco Rd. and
      taking Vasco Rd. north. In 14 miles you will come to a traffic light at Camino
      Diablo. Turn right and go several miles to Hwy j-4. Turn right and go several
      more miles to Clifton Court Rd where you will turn left. Drive a mile or so to
      where you are forced to make a 90 degree right turn and park immediately in the
      gravel area. The bird was seen there yesterday. From the gravel area you will
      notice a pair of parallel levees that wind their way east and north. Take
      either of the levees and watch for the bunting either on the levees or in the
      grass between the levees. This morning at about 8 it was about 1/8 mile from the
      parking area.
      This is just the 2nd county record of Snow Bunting and the first one that is
      chaseable.
      I didn't spend too much time scoping the water as the light is horrendous
      there in the morning. This morning when I arrived there were easily 10000+ gulls
      roosting on the levee, of which several hundred departed for points westward
      each time the flock was flushed. I would estimate that the flock was about
      85-90 California Gulls, the vast majority of the rest were Herring Gulls, and
      quite a few Thayer's were mixed in.
      Good luck,
      Steve Glover
      Dublin