Re: [CALBIRDS] List of Southern California Field Trips

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
      At 09:30 PM 2001-10-08 +0000, didyouwoof@... wrote:
      >I don't know who made the decision to get rid of the "Southern
      >California Field Trips" website and move the information to CalBirds
      >Calendar, but I beg you to reconsider your decision.

      Sandy,

      I made the decision. The reasons include too many late submissions among
      the dwindling number of chapters which submitted listings, and the large
      amount of work it took to assemble the page under time pressure every
      month. The Calbirds calendar allows each chapter that wants to list their
      trips to put them on the calendar in their own format, and also opens up
      the calendar to the entire state.

      I don't have the expertise to write an interactive database to automate the
      compilation of the trip listings online. If there is someone out there who
      can do that, I'd be happy to reinstate the SoCal trips pages.

      I don't know when you last tried to access the calendar, but over the
      weekend I changed the list settings for the Calendar page so that
      non-members should be able to read it without joining. If it is still not
      accessible to non-members, please let me know.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22