List of Southern California Field Trips

  • didyouwoof@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
      I don't know who made the decision to get rid of the "Southern
      California Field Trips" website and move the information to CalBirds
      Calendar, but I beg you to reconsider your decision.

      To get to the information now, one must sign up for Yahoo, which
      requires giving out personal information that many of us would rather
      not give out. It took me over a half hour to get signed up so I could
      access the calendar, and when I did I was dismayed to find out that
      (1) it is no longer possible to print out a list of all the upcoming
      field trips for the month; and (2) the calendar contains only a
      fraction of the entries that would have been listed on the old
      website. For example, I know there are two bird walks each month at
      Franklin Canyon, one at Seal Beach NWR, and one at Malibu Lagoon, but
      NONE of these are listed on the CalBirds calendar.

      Please, can't we have the website back?

      Sandy Smith
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
        At 09:30 PM 2001-10-08 +0000, didyouwoof@... wrote:
        >I don't know who made the decision to get rid of the "Southern
        >California Field Trips" website and move the information to CalBirds
        >Calendar, but I beg you to reconsider your decision.

        Sandy,

        I made the decision. The reasons include too many late submissions among
        the dwindling number of chapters which submitted listings, and the large
        amount of work it took to assemble the page under time pressure every
        month. The Calbirds calendar allows each chapter that wants to list their
        trips to put them on the calendar in their own format, and also opens up
        the calendar to the entire state.

        I don't have the expertise to write an interactive database to automate the
        compilation of the trip listings online. If there is someone out there who
        can do that, I'd be happy to reinstate the SoCal trips pages.

        I don't know when you last tried to access the calendar, but over the
        weekend I changed the list settings for the Calendar page so that
        non-members should be able to read it without joining. If it is still not
        accessible to non-members, please let me know.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22