more oo San Joaquin County Demoiselle Crane etc.

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2001
      All:

      I made to the Demoiselle site on Woodbridge Road near Lodi in San
      Joaquin County this morning at 10 AM as the President was just
      commencing to address the nation on the current air attacks on
      Afghanistan. A group of birders were already assembled viewing the
      Demoiselle Crane among the numerous Sandhill Cranes. The location was
      north of the road across from 2192 Woodbridge Road. Originally I had
      learned the house was pink, but apparently the owners did a quick
      over-night paint job. The house is now painted beige; the trim is
      burgundy. At the north side of the road there is a red sign "ITSI".
      The heat waves did hinder viewing slightly. Most of the time the
      Demoiselle Crane was stooping in a ditch, and once in a while it would
      raise its long neck. After about an hour the entire flock decided to
      take off to the east and disappeared.

      I had said that birders driving up from the south on I-5 could exit
      Highway 12 east and then turn left onto Thorton Road. This road is now
      closed at this intersection for construction, Continue north to the
      next exit "Turner" Road east and container north to Woodbridge Road and
      then turn left.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County