Solitary Sandpiper in Tulare County

  • Alan Wight
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hello,

      On Sunday, February 15, I found a Solitary Sandpiper in Tulare County east
      of the town of Woodlake. The bird was feeding in a small muddy area with
      standing water on the north side of Avenue 340 approximately 0.2 miles east
      of Road 222 (Avenue 340 was not marked - I found the name on Yahoo Maps). I
      had nice looks at the bird as it fed near the road. The bird appeared to be
      in winter plumage.

      In my experience further north in California, this is quite an early date
      for this species. Would someone please reply on how expected it is for this
      species to be in this part of the state this early in the year?

      Thanks,

      Alan Wight

      Petaluma, CA