Curve-billed Thrasher and Parker Dam update

  • Paul Keller
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2004
      Dave Compton and I birded Parker Dam and Black Meadow Landing in extreme
      eastern San Bernardino Co. yesterday. These places are on page 102 of the
      S. Ca. Delorme and are easy to find by following the signs.
      Both at about 7:30am and noon, the overlook on the downstream side of Parker
      Dam yielded one WHITE-WINGED SCOTOR that refused to swim to AZ and BARROW'S
      GOLDENEYE, 3 ducks and 4 drakes.
      At Black Meadow Landing, register at the entrance and ask where to see the
      Curved-billed Thrasher. The receptionist will direct you to the cactus
      garden. She also has a birders' diary so you can find out what others have
      seen. Don't forget to enter your sightings on the way out. We saw the
      CURVED-BILLED THRASHER at about 9:30am at the cactus garden just up road
      from the microwave tower near a green dish birdbath. A gentleman named
      Ernie who discovered the CBTH last Nov. said that this section of the garden
      is the best bet. He also recommended trying between 7:30 and 8:30am, as
      well as staying on the road so that you won't frighten the CBTH behind
      cover. Ernie feeds the birds of the garden a few times a day which brings
      out the CBTH.
      Black Meadow Landing has a hotel and restaurant.
      Dave will post the details of our trip on the SE CA listserv.
      --
      Paul Keller, SBA Isla Vista
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
        On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:35:27 -0800, Paul Keller <wrentit@...>
        wrote:

        >At Black Meadow Landing, register at the entrance and ask where to see the
        >Curved-billed Thrasher. The receptionist will direct you to the cactus
        >garden. She also has a birders' diary so you can find out what others have
        >seen. Don't forget to enter your sightings on the way out. We saw the
        >CURVED-BILLED THRASHER at about 9:30am at the cactus garden just up road
        >from the microwave tower near a green dish birdbath. A gentleman named
        >Ernie who discovered the CBTH last Nov. said that this section of the garden
        >is the best bet. He also recommended trying between 7:30 and 8:30am, as
        >well as staying on the road so that you won't frighten the CBTH behind
        >cover. Ernie feeds the birds of the garden a few times a day which brings
        >out the CBTH.
        >Black Meadow Landing has a hotel and restaurant.

        Two photos of the Curve-billed Thrasher contributed by David Nelson can be
        viewed at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        Enjoy!

        --