Central Valley Bird Habitats

  • Jim Gain
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
      Even though I had a botany emphasis when I got my biology degree some 20
      years ago, I have to admit that my Jepson and Munz manuals have gathered a
      bit of dust since then. I dug them out yesterday to try and nail down the
      best terms to identify the habitats to assign the different birding
      locations across the valley. Jepson uses the life zone classification
      system; too broad to be of much help. Munz uses the more typical plant
      community system. However, when I visited the State Fish and Games' (DFG)
      website on http://www.dfg.ca.gov/whdab/html/wildlife_habitats.html the
      wildlife habitats don't match up.

      Here's what I've found so far: (In no particular order. The first term
      listed is the term I'm leaning towards.)

      1. Alkali Desert Scrub (DFG): Munz lists Shadscale Scrub and Alkali Sink.

      2. Central Oak Woodlands: Munz combines DFG Blue Oak Woodland, Blue
      Oak-Foothill Pine and Valley Oak Woodland into one habitat called Foothill
      Woodland. Another source simply calls them Central Oak Woodlands which I
      prefer. Is there any reason to separate out the Valley Oak Woodlands, Blue
      Oak Woodlands and Blue Oak-Foothill Pine?

      3. Valley Grasslands (Munz): DFG separates Perennial Grasslands and Annual
      Grasslands and also includes a Pasture habitat. This would include grazing
      lands.

      4. Chaparral (Munz): DFG has Mixed Chaparral and Chamise-Redshank Chaparral.

      5. Freshwater Wetlands (Munz): DFG has Fresh Emergent Wetland, Saline
      Emergent Wetlands and Estuarine. Munz only has Freshwater and Salt Water
      Marsh. I would lean towards using Freshwater Marsh and Brackish Marsh (for
      delta/baylands).

      6. Brackish Marsh: (See above)

      7. Open Water: DFG uses Lacustrine, this would include ponds, lakes and
      sewage treatment plants.

      8. Riparian: DFG lists Valley Foothill Riparian

      9. Riverine (DFG): Is this term necessary since riparian should infer the
      presence of a stream?

      10. Urban Woodlands: DFG lists the term Urban which also includes lawns.
      This would include parks with ornamental trees and shrubs as well as
      botanical gardens.

      Am I missing anything?

      I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this as there may well be more
      up-to-date information that I'm not aware of.

      Thanks

      Jim Gain

      Modesto

    • Kenneth Burton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2004
        Jim,

        The California Wildlife Habitat Relationships Program has a "crosswalk" that helps you match their classifications with several other systems. You may have discovered this already.

        Ken Burton
        Inverness
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor