White-tailed Kites on San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2004
      Birders

      The single White-tailed Kite pair nesting on San Clemente Island has fledged
      four young (9 Feb). This is the second successful nesting of this pair
      (presumably) on SCI, the first being in the spring of 2000. They attempted to
      nest last spring but failed. I believe this is the only pair nesting on the
      Channel Islands, and I would love to hear from anyone that might be able to
      provide information to the contrary. It would be excellent to see where the young
      end up, as there is only one lone Eucalyptus tree on SCI and really only one
      suitable territory. Perhaps the other islands? We'll never know but it
      would be a great study, and perhaps this is the beginning of a colonization of
      the islands by kites as is being seen in several other species (e.g., Acorn
      Woodpecker). In any case, we appreciate having them here.

      The only other bird of true note was a Sage Sparrow of one of the pale
      subspecies (probably Nevadensis) with White-crowned Sparrows in sage scrub along the
      rim of upper Bryce Canyon 1 Feb 2004. This is the first pale Sage Sparrow
      I've seen on SCI, however, one A.b. nevadensis was collected 25 Nov 1939 by
      (G.W. Willett), providing the only other record for the island.

      Good birding,

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108