Fwd: [kerncobirding] Lesser Black-backed Gull at Kern NWR:

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2004
      Hello everyone,
      This message was posted to the Kern listserve.

      Steve Glover
      Dublin

      In a message dated 2/10/2004 10:41:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      ex_nihlo@... writes:
      Greetings,

      My apologies for the delay in sending this message, but I am a
      birder from Parksville British Columbia, who was traveling through
      your area last week, and had no access to internet, or bird alerts,
      until I got home yesterday.
      On Feb. 2, 4 friends and I birded the Kern National Wildlife
      Refuge, northwest of Wasco. We identified 68 species, including two
      which were not on the printed checklist that we picked up at the
      office on our way in. We would have told someone there about these
      birds, but we could not locate anyone on our way out. The birds were,
      a male Vermillion Flycatcher, and an adult, winter, Lesser Black-
      backed Gull. Both birds were well seen, and viewed at fairly close
      range with a scope. The flycatcher was pretty unmistakable but we
      spent a considerable amount of time on the gull.
      I thought that since these birds were not on the checklist, that
      someone might want more details, which I would be happy to provide.
      Hopefully, they might still be in that area too.
      And BTW, we really enjoyed the birding!
      thanks,
      Guy L. Monty
      Parksville BC