Wanted: Great Backyard Bird Count volunteer-editors

  • Dan Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      Calbirders,

      This winter's Great Backyard Bird Count will take
      place Feb. 13 - 16, 2004.

      This year's feature will be Bird-friendly Families and
      Backyards with a link to our new Audubon At Home
      website (http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/)

      Audubon is looking to engage local editors to work
      with GBBC participants at the state level. These
      regional bird experts are able to advise people about
      confusing species and validate or invalidate rare bird
      reports more accurately, quickly, and effectively than
      can staff in the Science Office in Pennsylvania. This
      role would also offer editors an opportunity to
      connect with and engage birders - from the total
      beginner to the expert - in his or her region.

      In the past, two staff have handled the entire
      country, but now, 35 editors around the U.S. have
      signed on (though none yet from California!).

      This task will not require a large time commitment if
      undertaken at the state level, and to help, we have
      developed an editing tool which allows editors to see
      unusual reports, validate or invalidate each, and
      contact participants when desirable.

      If you are interested or would like to see any of
      these materials, please let me know, and I'll pass the
      word on to our Science Office.

      Dan Cooper
      Audubon California
      Pasadena