Mission Bay (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hi, all!

      Today went over to Mission Bay with my friend Carol Albright, starting at
      Robb Field (and I probably should say that any obvious non-coastal birds on the
      list were picked up in her yard in El Cajon...). The tide was WAY in; there
      were even waves coming ahore along the channel (so you can imagine what the
      breakers looked like)! The only exposed land was quite a bit west of where we
      parked, but there were tons of shorebirds there, mainly Marbled Godwits and
      Black-bellied Plovers, but also a few Willets and at least two Whimbrel. Out in
      the deeper water ducks were very far away and in lousy light, but we did pick up
      our token Horned Grebe just before we left.

      Headed over to Mission Bay Headquarters after that, where Carol was amazed by
      all the cormorants claiming the old sailboats there! We picked out a few
      Brandt's among the DCs (one even had his white crests already), and there were
      the usual ton of herons and egrets on the dock across the way. Also had a
      handful of Red-breasted Mergansers, and in the bay along the back side of the
      building we picked up a Common Loon and lots more pelicans and cormorants along the
      rocks.

      From there went to Kendalfrost Marsh, where the Clapper Rails were clattering
      and the Belding's Sparrows were buzzing, but again there were tons of ducks
      WAY out there: Redheads, Scaup, wigeon, Brant, Bufflehead, and coots are what
      we could easily pick out. Three Little Blue Herons fed over by Campland, and a
      flock of five Cinnamon Teal breezed in just as we left.

      Over to the Flood Control Channel off Sea World Drive, and THAT place was
      hopping: had Horned Larks at the west end and Ruddy Ducks under the bridge, plus
      an Osprey flying over. With the better light we got MARVELOUS looks at
      Redheads, wigeon, Pintail, Green-winged Teal, and scaup! We also had a small flock
      of White Pelicans and several Great Egrets, but the channel was still flooded
      past the turnoff back on to Sea World Drive, so we poked down there a little
      and was able to get good looks at both Cinnamon and Blue-winged Teal, plus a
      Greater Yellowlegs and a pair of Shovelers. A Say's Phoebe flew alongside the
      car on the way out.

      Next stop was Fiesta Island, where the plan was to stop every half mile, but
      we ended up stopping a lot more than that! Got excellent gull studies as
      Ring-billed, California, Western, Heermann's, Herring, and Glaucous-winged were
      all present. Had more Brant in the bay as well as lots of Bufflehead and Eared
      Grebes, and the shorebird lineup was complimented by both Least and Western
      Sands, Sanderlings, a Dunlin, Semipalmated Plovers, Knots, and Dowitchers, plus
      a single Avocet just before we left the island. Didn't kick up any Burrowing
      Owls, but we did get the expected Horned Larks, Meadowlarks, and a pipit, plus
      a couple flocks of White-throated Swifts tearing overhead.

      It was time to go home after that, but I wanted to make a quick stop at De
      Anza Cove to try for the Harlequin Duck. We ran into Don Adams there, who
      hadn't had any luck, either, so after enjoying a Western Grebe we went over to that
      little canal (I'm still wondering if that's "Rose Inlet") where we couldn't
      find the duck but did find a kingfisher and a really nice view of a Little Blue
      Heron for Carol. We had a scaup that might have been a Greater, but I wasn't
      100% sure, as well as two female Canvasbacks.

      Headed home after that with 75 species for the day! Bird list:

      Common Loon Gavia immer
      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Horned Grebe Podiceps auritus
      Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Brandt's Cormorant Phalacrocorax penicillatus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Brant Branta bernicla
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Pintail Anas acuta
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Canvasback Aythya valisineria
      Redhead Aythya americana
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Red-breasted Merganser Mergus serrator
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris
      American Coot Fulica americana
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Short-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus griseus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus
      Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Red Knot Calidris canutus
      Sanderling Calidris alba
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Dunlin Calidris alpina
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Glaucous-winged Gull Larus glaucescens
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      American Herring Gull Larus smithsonianus
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      American Pipit Anthus rubescens
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

      75 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...