WANTED: Sightings of Banded Orange-crowned Warblers

  • Gjon_Hazard@r1.fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      Birders:

      First off, sorry for any cross posting...

      This past fall, I spotted a color-banded Orange-crowned Warbler at
      Huntington Beach Central Park. I turned my observation in to the USGS Bird
      Banding Lab (see below for more info). The Lab put me in contact with the
      researcher who (with help from colleagues) banded the bird. The
      researcher, Scott Sillett of the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center,
      informed me that this bird was banded on Santa Catalina Island as part of
      one of their ongoing research projects. I told him that Central Park is
      well birded and others may have seen this bird too. And indeed, there may
      be other banded Orange-crowned Warblers in southern California (or
      beyond???) that have been observed as well. He is very interested in
      hearing about any re-sightings. More information about the SMBC's
      Orange-crowned Warbler research is available at:

      http://natzoo.si.edu/ConservationAndScience/MigratoryBirds/Research/OCWA/default.cfm

      Specifically, Scott et al., banded orange-crowns with an aluminum
      (silver-colored) band on the bird's left leg and a red/blue bicolored
      plastic band on the bird's right leg. However, other researchers may be
      using other band combinations. If you see a color-banded Orange-crowned
      Warbler, or any other species for that matter, be sure to note the band
      combination (note the leg [left/right, relative to the bird]; and, if more
      than one band per leg, the order [top to bottom]); the date and specific
      location of the observation, and any ancillary information (the bird's
      condition; age or sex, if determinable; etc.). Turn in this information,
      along with your name and contact info, to the Bird Banding Laboratory.
      Information on how to do that is at:

      http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/call800.htm

      This is for color-marked birds. The Banding Lab keeps track of the
      researchers using color marking techniques (not only banding, but other
      techniques as well). The Lab generally can't do much with a report that a
      banded bird (aluminum only, no color bands) was observed. They need to
      have something that makes THAT banded bird different from ALL THE OTHER
      birds of that species that have been banded. If, however, you can read the
      unique code on the band (this is sometimes possible with exceptionally good
      views -- say with gulls or raptors; or on a bird found dead), this would be
      very good information. Even a partial read of the band (all but a few
      numbers) might be useful.

      So, keep your eyes open, take along a notebook, and in the pursuit of birds
      for recreational purposes, you may be able to make a significant
      contribution to ornithological research.

      By the way (shameless plug time), if you find all this interesting, the
      Western Field Ornithologists will be holding their annual meeting jointly
      with the Western Bird Banding Association (among others) in Ashland,
      Oregon, September 9-12, 2004. There will be several workshops and field
      trips that include banding. Birders of all skill levels are welcome to
      attend WFO meetings (it's not just for researchers -- all you need to have
      is a healthy curiosity). More WFO conference information is available at:

      http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/confer.html

      Cheers,
      -Gj

      ====================================