More on Demoiselle Crane in San Joaquin County

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2001
      All:

      The Demoiselle Crane was refound this morning at at 9:30 AM along
      Woodbridge Road, just east of the pink house.

      From the north take the Peltier Road exit off of I-5, go left under the
      freeway, and turn right on Thornton Rd. Then turn right on Woodbridge
      Road and go under I-5.

      From the south take Highway 12 east and turn left on Thorton Road. Then
      turn left on Woodbridge Road and go under I-5.

      I've just checked the Handbook of the Birds of the World Volume 3
      (Hoatzin to Auks), page 3, and this is what I found:

      "Demoiselle Crane

      Anthropoides virgo

      Distribution Central Eurasia, from the Black Sea east to Mongolia and
      Northeastern China. Winters in Indian Subcontinent and sub-Saharan
      Africa from Chad to Ethiopia. Small disjunct breeding population in
      Turkey and in Atlas Mountains, Northwestern Africa.

      Movements Migratory with possible exception of a small populations in
      turkey; in past , species wintered in Mugan Steppe, Southeastern
      Azerbaijan. Birds from Western Eurasian winter in Eastern sub-Saharan
      Africa. Birds from Central Asia, Mongolia and China winter in Indian
      Subcontinent. Small population of Atlas Plateau may move to Chad in
      Winter."

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County