Re: Roseate Spoonbill in Imperial

  • migratoriusfwlr@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6 1:49 PM
      Hi all,
      I finally got to a computer this afternoon. Thanks to John for putting the message out. I just wanted to elaborate on the bird. The bird was roosting with the hordes of Cattle Egrets on the west side of Fig lagoon which is just to the right (south) of the overlook there. Jennifer Curtis and I first saw the bird from the eastern side of the lagoon and immediately noticed a pink bird in with egrets. Jokingly I said "Oh I bet it's just a Roseate Spoonbill". I was extremely shocked when all of a sudden the bird lifted its head up and I noticed the bill. Whoa!! We then went to the southern side of the lagoon and got better views of it and got a couple of photos for documentation. It then flew off, like John stated, around 0815 and headed to the east-probably towards the Salton Sea. The bird was and immature bird (2nd calendar year?) with an all white head going down to the breast, pink wings, back, legs and, underparts, and of course... the spoon-like bill. I notified Bob Miller and he and some other locals were going to chase it this morning. The ANHINGA was also present there on the eastern side of the lagoon roosting in some snags with cormorants until about 0730. Good luck to those who try!! Good birding.

      Rob Fowler
      Arcata
      Humboldt county