Mojave desert birds

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2001
      On Monday, I was involved in a bird survey on private land at Searles Dry Lake, nw San Bernardino County. It's normally pretty quiet but we happened upon 2 SABINE'S GULLS, 16 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, and a PRAIRIE FALCON, among others.

      On Tuesday, at Galileo in Kern Co, highlights included:
      200+ roosting TURKEY VULTURES
      1 presumed YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER (complete juv plumage)
      1 TOWNSEND'S SOLATAIRE
      1 WHITE-BR NUTHATCH (and a few RED-BR as well)
      1 RED-SH HAWK
      1 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS
      lots of YELLOW, ORANGE-CR., YELLLOW-RUMPED, and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS.
      3 VESPER SPARROWS
      many SAGE SPARROWS in the desert

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton, Ph.D.