Centerville CBC

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      Just returned from a beautiful day on the Centerville (Humboldt County) CBC.
      No megararities but the total of 178 species is above average and included
      some nice birds. I don’t have the details on where these birds were seen,
      but the highlights were:

      Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1 female) – I missed where this was.

      Barrow’s Goldeneye – one female off King Salmon, and one female on the Salt
      River.

      Common Yellowthroat – one male at the Eel River Wildlife Area

      Costa’s Hummingbird – one coming to a private home in Fortuna

      Clay-colored Sparrow – 2 birds along the Salt River and a third in Ferndale.

      Black-throated Gray Warbler – one in Ferndale

      Tennessee Warbler – one along the Salt River

      Barns Swallow ? at the Humboldt Bay NWR

      Horned Lark (actually one of the best birds of the count) one foraging with
      Sanderlings(!) along Centerville Beach

      Ancient Murrelet – offshore

      Red Phalarope - offshore

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist