FW: [CVBirds] Trumpeter Swan in Amador County

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      CALBIRDS:

      As Trumpeter Swan is a CBRC Review Species and therefore of state-wide
      interest, I have taken the liberty of forwarding Chris's post to CVBirds
      with some additions.

      On 2 January 2004 Todd Easterla and Fritz Steurer (the original finder) both
      of the Sacramento Area reported a single immature Trumpeter Swan at the Ione
      Sewage Ponds near the town of Ione in Amador County. They watched the swan
      fly out to the south-west along Old Sacramento Road which borders along the
      northern edge of the Ione Sewage Ponds. They later relocated the swan on a
      large pond 1.3 miles down Old Sacramento Road. The swan continued at this
      location through yesterday 1-3-2004. I arrived at the location at about
      11:30 AM. No one was there, and what I could see from the road before
      exiting my car was only a flock of Canada Geese. I viewed the pond from the
      fence along the south side of Old Sacramento Road and finding in the middle
      of the pond a "large dirty-looking white rock" that then lifted its head and
      then put it back under water and then raising it again. Its head was more
      under water than above water. Then Calvin Lou of San Francisco, transcriber
      of the BIRDWEST Northern California Bird Box, and his brother Kent of
      Fairfield arrived on scene, and soon thereafter Jim Rowoth of Stockton. I
      waved and gave "two thumbs up". The four of us viewed the immature
      Trumpeter Swan for a good half hour. Also present among the Canada Geese
      was one "Cackling" Canada Goose. Earlier in the day John Sterling reported
      from the same location along with the Trumpeter Swan also a male Eurasian
      Green-winged Teal, and mid-afternoon Kevin Guse of Sacramento reported that
      both the Trumpeter Swan and Eurasian Green-winged Teal were still present.
      However, the Eurasian Green-winged Teal was not in view during our noon-time
      visit.

      On 29 December 1998 I found 5 Trumpeter Swans at the Wyntoon Marina in
      Trinity Center in Trinity County. I had no camera, and I am no artist.
      Because of this and because the Trumpeter Swans did not vocalize, the CBRC
      did not accept this record. Seeing the Amador County Trumpeter Swan
      yesterday confirms to me my original 1998 record, a record which I maintain
      personally with or without CBRC acceptance.

      Directions to the Amador Trumpeter Swan are as follows:

      From State Highway 104 head south on Five Mile Drive. Eventually you will
      cross a bridge and a three-way intersection of Five Mile Road, West Marlette
      Street and Old Stockton Road. At this point the road now follows more or
      less a westerly path. The Ione Sewage Ponds are on the left. From this
      intersection Five Mile Road becomes Old Stockton Road. Continue straight
      ahead on Old Stockton Road about 1.3 miles. The Trumpeter Pond will be on
      the left.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        CALBIRDS:

        Joe Morlan posted a correction to CVBirds on the correct link for the
        Trumpter Swan Identification page:

        On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:24:42 -0800, "Chris Conard"
        <chris.conard@...> wrote:

        >There's interesting reading on Trumpeter Swan identification on Joe
        Morlan's
        >site: http://fog.ccsf.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jmorlan/search3.pl

        This link as written, won't produce any results because it needs an input
        string. A Trumpeter Swan ID checklist is at:

        http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/trswid.htm

        --
        Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County