Re: Birdfinding in Humboldt

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Just a thought...but if it is recognized that the wide expanses makes
      it difficult to refind birds in Humboldt County, why not start using
      GPS coordinates on the RBA reports? GPS units are relatively
      inexpensive today, and many birders own such units. I don't think
      that technology has been utilized on RBAs to any great extent, but it
      would be a natural for the situation described. Joel Weintraub, Dana
      Point, CA (OrCoRBA compiler)
    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        I'd like to add some additional comments. NWCalbirds is a listserve for the
        Humboldt region. I suggest that outside visitors send an email to that
        listserve announcing when they plan to visit and what they hope to see.
        When I lived in Humboldt from 1979-1991, we rarely had visiting birders so
        we did not often keep tabs on rare birds once all of the locals had seen
        them. By letting the locals know that you are interested, they may keep
        better track of these birds. Also...most of the older, more experienced
        birders in Humboldt County are very busy with work (most of them are working
        biologists), so they don't always have the time that they used to have for
        keeping track of these rare birds. So...please be considerate when placing
        "expectations" on their time. However, they are very generous and many of
        the newer birders are especially active in getting their county lists up to
        snuff, so it is likely that someone could help out visitors. (dare I say
        that providing some sort of compensation for their limited time may do
        wonders for their morale as many of them, especially the students are on
        limited budgets)

        I second Fix's remark that there is an abundance of habitat......not
        surprisingly, much of the good habitat is not checked regularly outside of
        the immediate Humboldt Bay area .....so don't be shy about checking other
        coastal areas as they are likely to hold outstanding rareties that have not
        yet been discovered. Many of the known hot spots are little more than
        unmarked areas that locals know about from a collective knowledge of
        historical sightings....so these locations are not easily described in
        writing since many of us just "know" the location--I couldn't describe
        exactly where many of these locations are after birding them for 25 years.
        Fix did a good job of explaining this issue. Perhaps GPS units will solve
        these problems in the future once this technology takes hold in the birding
        community.

        Also...it is important for outside visitors to let the locals know of their
        own sightings as well. When I was living up there, we sometimes had
        outsiders report birds days or weeks after the sightings. The locals do not
        like that at all!

        John
        John Sterling
        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 668-8694 (home office)
        530 668-1985 (home)
        916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
        916 752-0899 (cell phone)