San Bernardino (7-6-2001) and Riverside (7-8/9-2001) Counties

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2001
      Inland County Birders, CALBIRDERS, County Listers:

      On July 6, 2001 I birded parts San Bernardino County, and July 8/9,
      2001, I birded parts of Riverside County.

      Silver Lake (San Bernardino County, July 6, 2001) Southern California
      DeLorme, page 95, B5:

      Silver Lake is reached by taking State Route 138 east from I-15.

      There were no real surprises here. There were flying White-throated
      Swifts around the I-15 overpass. At the lake there were Great-tailed
      Grackles, Western Kingbirds, and Purple Finches among the usual expected
      species.

      State Route 173, MP 14.83, San Bernardino County, Southern California
      DeLorme, page 95, B6:

      From the east end of Lake Arrowhead I headed north on State Route 173
      where at MP 14.83 I found a family of Mountain Quail of two adults and
      four young right in the middle of the road.

      Then while passing Lake Gregory and all the way to Big Bear Lake I ran
      into a second day of heavy rain. So, besides the weather there was
      little to report.

      Chino/Ontario Pond at Grove and Riverside (south of State Route 60,
      Southern California DeLorme, page 95, D2):

      I had first learned of this location from Jim Lomax's post to County
      Listers. Jim Lomax reported finding American Avocets there which I did
      not need for the county and did not find there but did find 6
      Black-necked Stilts there which I did need for the county. There was
      otherwise no shorebird activity.

      Chino/Ontario Dairy Pond at Euclid and Bickmore (south of State Route
      60, Southern California DeLorme, page 95, D2):

      None of the shorebirds Jim Lomax had reported were still present
      (Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, American Avocet, Long-billed
      Dowitchers, Wilson's Phalaropes ,and Whimbrel). All that remained were
      Black-necked Stilts. Time was now running out as I was to being at the
      Kern River Preserve the following morning for the annual Summer Bird
      Count. So, I had to forfeit the drive to Prado Park from where Jim had
      reported Bell's Vireo.

      Hidden Valley Wildlife Area, Riverside County, July 8, 2001, Southern
      California DeLorme, page 104, A4:

      Hidden Valley Wildlife Area is not really "Hidden". From State Route 91
      in Riverside take the La Sierra Avenue exit north. La Sierra Avenue
      ends at Arlington. Turn left here. The entrance to the park is a short
      distance after this on the right.

      Howard King informed me that the Bell's Vireos he reported were near the
      pond just east of horse trailer parking area. By the time I arrived
      here, it was much too windy for adequate birding. I did find one
      eclipsed-plumaged Wood Duck and a male Green-winged Teal on one of the
      eastern ponds viewed from the overlook. I opted to return the following
      morning. In the mean-time I headed over to Lake Perris State Recreation
      Area.

      Lake Perris State Recreation Area, Riverside County, Southern California
      DeLorm, page 105, A6:

      I primarily birded the north-east corner of the reservoir. Among the
      several Western Grebes I found a single Clark's Grebe. Present were
      Green Heron, Caspian Tern, Northern Rough winged Swallow, Western
      Kingbird, Blue Grosbeak, and American Goldfinch.

      Hidden Valley Wildlife Area, Riverside County, July 9, 2001, Southern
      California DeLorme, page 104, A4:

      The next morning I returned to Hidden Valley Wildlife Area. The wind
      had dispersed in the mean-time, and the birding had much improved. I
      began birding around the pond just east of the horse trailer parking
      area. Here I easily found Yellow-breasted Chat, Ash-thoated Flycatcher,
      Western Kingbird, Western Bluebird, and American Goldfinch. Missing
      still were the Bell's Vireos.

      On the way out I decided to try the pond which you normally access by
      taking the first left when you enter the park from Arlington. Here I
      found many of the same birds plus three Bell's Vireos in a willow at the
      east end of the pond. I actually saw two of them but heard three. Of
      the two I did see, one was an adult, and the second one was an
      immature. For the record, there was one Brown-headed Cowbird at the
      opposite west end of the pond.
      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County