Upcoming pelagic trips.

  • walter wehtje
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Anyone interested in taking a pelagic trip out of Southern California in the
      near future should take note of these two offerings. My apologies for the
      cross-postings.

      The Conejo Valley and Ventura Audubon Societies are sponsoring a 1/2 day
      pelagic trip on Saturday, 27 October 2001. This trip will depart Ventura
      Harbor at 8:00 AM, include a brief stop at Santa Cruz Island before cruising
      out through the Anacapa Passage, stopping at the "Footprint", a bank south
      of Anacapa Island, before circling Anacapa, and returning to dock by 1:30
      PM. We expect to see the normal completement of pelagic and nearshore
      species, including loons, Pink-footed Shearwaters, Sooty Shearwaters,
      Black-vented Shearwaters, Parasitic Jaegers, Pomarine Jaegers, Cassin's
      Auklets, Common Murres and the usual gulls. Last year's trip had a
      Red-billed Tropicbird. While we don't expect to see one this time, one
      never knows.

      We will use Island Packers' newest vessel, the "Islander". This catamaran
      is exceptionally stable, has excellent visibility and travels at speeds of
      25 mph. This will allow us to travel quickly to the birds with minimal
      rolling. If you wish to see pelagic birds but worry about becoming seasick,
      this is a great opportunity to indulge in the first activity while avoiding
      the second. To reserve your place on this trip please mail a check for $45
      made out to "Conejo Valley Audubon Society" to Conejo Valley Audubon
      Society, Inc. P.O. Box 4782, Thousand Oaks CA 91359. For additional
      information, please call Walter Wehtje at 805 491-3551, or email me at
      wehtje@....

      The second trip will cover more uncharted areas.

      The Conejo Valley and Ventura Audubon Societies are sponsoring an eight (8)
      hour pelagic trip on Saturday, 1 December 2001. This trip will depart
      Ventura Harbor at 8:00 AM, head SSW towards San Nicolas Island, and spend
      2-3 hours exploring the deep water to the northwest of this outermost
      California Channel Island before returning to dock by 4:00 PM. We expect to
      see the normal completement of pelagic species, but hope to locate such
      offshore species such as Laysan Albatross and wintering alcids. Few pelagic
      trips have visited this area during this time of year, so we expect at least
      a few surprises.

      This trip is possible due to our use of Island Packers' newest vessel, the
      "Islander". This catamaran has a cruising speed of 25 mph, which allows us
      to reach deep water in half the time it takes single-hull vessels. As a
      result we can bird far offshore and still spend all our time aboard during
      daylight hours. For an opportunity to find out what's really out there at a
      very reasonable price, please mail a check for $90 made out to "Conejo
      Valley Audubon Society" to Conejo Valley Audubon Society, Inc. P.O. Box
      4782, Thousand Oaks CA 91359. For more information, please call Walter
      Wehtje at 805 491-3551, or email me at wehtje@....