Tijuana Slough & Fort Rosecrans (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hi, all!

      Today took out visiting birder Sue Wright and her mom Betty; target birds
      included Clapper Rail, Snowy Plover, and migrants, so we met at the Tijuana
      Slough Visitor's Center around eight (they got caught on the I-15 Parking
      Lot, which was worse than usual due to an accident). When I got there
      (incredible early, of course) the Clapper Rails were calling even as I got
      out of the car, so that was a good sign!

      When they finally did make it and we exchanged pleasantries, she informed me
      that the pressure was off, as she had gotten a terrific look at Clapper Rail
      up in Orange County! So we headed down the trail, enjoying newly arrived
      White-crowned Sparrows, battling Anna's Hummers, and a Cattle Egret flying
      over, which I don't recall ever seeing there before! The tide was in, and
      lots of rails were calling back and forth, some sounding as though they were
      at our feet, but invisible, of course! Sue DID happen to see one dart across
      across an open area as we were enjoying Short-billed Dowitchers, Marbled
      Godwits, Willets, and a single Black-bellied Plover. A Belding's Sparrow
      popped up but didn't stay put long enough for Betty to see it through the
      scope, but the shorebirds were more cooperative. Down at the end of the
      trail we saw three avocets fly in, along with a White-faced Ibis, and while
      we were enjoying that, I turned around only to see the Reddish Egret in the
      pond behind us! From what I could tell it looked like the one with the
      deformed bill that's been hanging around for ages; I was telling Sue that
      they've shown up often enough here that the CBRC HAS to be thinking about
      taking them off the review list! A big ol' Long-billed Curlew took off just
      before we headed back.

      From there I decided that we'd have a better chance of spotting the plovers
      if we walked the beach down to the Tijuana River mouth, so off we went, and I
      tell you, we got our exercise (or at least *I* did)! Didn't see a whole lot
      on the way besides Brown Pelicans and a pod of Western Grebes in the surf,
      but once down at the mouth several new goodies showed up, including a Black
      Turnstone in the kelp, a couple of Heermann's Gulls in with the Westerns,
      several Sanderlings, and a flyover Elegant Tern. But lo and behold, Sue DID
      spot several of the cute little Snowies on a sandbar, and we all got
      excellent looks! On the way back had good comparative looks of Sanderling
      and Western Sandpiper, and a Whimbrel gave us a good sillhouette look at his
      beak as he sat up on the dunes. A Say's Phoebe was on the observation deck
      back in the parking area, and although we saundered down the sidewalk to look
      for possible "at your feet" rails (the tide DID seem pretty high), we came up
      empty.

      Since it was getting late and we had gotten the Snowies, I decided to skip
      Robb Field and go straight to Fort Rosecrans for migrants, taking them on the
      scenic route up the Silver Strand, through Coronado, and over the Bridge to
      Point Loma. The cemetery was dead (no pun intended), probably due to the
      time of day, but we at least got Orange-crowned and Butterbutt for the day,
      and a possible Wilson's that I couldn't pull out. The landscapers were
      mowing and bushwhacking, so that made it hard to hear things, but thankfully
      Sue is experienced enough to know that that's how these migrant traps are:
      sometimes you hit them right, and sometimes you don't!

      We all went our separate ways after that, logging a total of 50 species for
      the day. Bird List:

      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
      White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Snowy Plover Charadrius alexandrinus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus
      Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Black Turnstone Arenaria melanocephala
      Sanderling Calidris alba
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Elegant Tern Sterna elegans
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Belted Kingfisher Ceryle alcyon
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

      50 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA