Second Annual Murphy's Petrel Pelagic Trips

  • Don DesJardin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      If you need that ultimate Pterodroma, here's your opportunity. Following
      last years trips, during which we observed over 90 Murphy's Petrels during
      two trips, the "Searcher" will run two five day pelagic journeys out of San
      Diego on 21 - 25 April and 28 April - 2 May. These multi-day trips are
      designed to visit southern California's offshore shelves and seamounts.
      Special efforts will be made to find Pterodroma petrels, albatrosses, and
      tropicbirds, but a good variety of regular pelagic birds will also be
      encountered. The "Searcher" departs at noon on day 1 and return at 8:00am
      on day 5. We will travel to the Rodriguez Dome, San Juan Seamount, and
      points along and past the continental shelf. The exact itinerary will vary
      based on the leaders' and captain's judgments about bird abundance and
      weather conditions. Our comfortable live-aboard is equipped with excellent
      sleeping accommodations, hot showers, and a full galley.

      Highlights from spring 2003 included Murphy's Petrels, Laysan and
      Black-footed Albatross, Pink-footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater,
      Black-vented Shearwater, Black Storm-petrel, Ashy Storm-petrel, Leach's
      Storm-petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, all 3 jaegers, Arctic Tern, Sabine's
      Gull, Xantus's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, and Cassin's Auklet. Other
      possibilities include Cook's Petrels (several Cook types were seen
      distantly spring 2003), Stejneger's Petrel, Mottled Petrel. Dark-rumped
      Petrel, Bulwer's Petrel (1 in September 2003) and Red-tailed Tropicbird (1
      in September 2003).

      Although the primary focus will be on finding birds, a variety of marine
      mammals may also be encountered. Species observed in 2003 included Blue
      Whale, Fin Whale, Humpback Whale, Sperm Whale, Baird's Beaked Whale, Orca,
      Short-beaked Common Dolphin, Long-beaked Common Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin,
      Pacific White-sided Dolphin, Northern Right-whale Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin,
      Northern Elephant Seal, Harbor Seal, California Sea Lion, and Guadalupe Fur
      Seal,
      Dates of 2004 trips: April 21-25, April 28- May 2, Sep 8-12
      Cost: $750 (includes all food and beverages, excludes crew gratuity).
      For more information feel free to contact me, or
      Searcher Natural History Tours
      2838 Garrison Street
      San Diego, California 92106 USA
      http://bajawhale.com/birdingtrips.html