RE: California CBCs

  • Nature Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hi All, (sorry for all of the cross-posts - too much territory to cover,
      feel free to post this to your local bird group if you feel the information
      will be of use to others)

      Since Bruce Webb's kind comments about the work I have done on putting
      together the schedule of California CBC's, several compilers have sent in
      information. Several new dates have been posted just today!!! If your
      count's date is not on the list, send the information along and I will post
      it post haste. ;-) ( please use the format - date, count, county, compiler,
      phone, email - all email addresses are run through an obfuscation program to
      keep spam bots from mining them!)

      The schedule is posted in two places. The Audubon California website has the
      dates along with the last year's # participants and # species.
      http://ca.audubon.org/cbcs.htm
      This information is not on the Nature Alley website, but something on that
      page not on Audubon is you can scroll to the bottom of the page and find a
      place to input the town or zip code and get the predicted weather from the
      weather channel for the count circle you are interested in.
      http://natureali.org/cbcs.htm

      Also as soon as the counts are finished, I will do my best to compile the
      results in a similar format to last year. With numbers of participants,
      individual birds, and species. I will then sift through the data and find
      the totals for CA CBC's, new counts, participants, total # birds, total #
      species, # introduced species, weirdest species, most irruptive, highest and
      lowest for participants, species, individuals, precipitation and
      temperature, most unusual method of transportation. All of the information
      is done totally by hand as I am not privy to anything but the public stuff
      on the Audubon/Cornell website, so compilers are welcome to send me this
      information directly!

      Let's see how fast compilers can get their information done this year!!! If
      your compiler needs help to win the competition for the fastest post then by
      all means offer to help and get those rare bird forms done ASAP.

      BTW, it may take me a little more time to post results I receive as I am
      scheduled to do 8 of the 11 Kern County counts this year. ;-) If you pre-pay
      on the Audubon CBC page you only have to pay for 4 counts, all others are
      free to participate in! So I am off to the races!!!

      Yours in nature,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA
      93283

      Nature Ali - http://natureali.org
      Educating the world about Central California's unique biodiversity.