Com Grackle in Baja California

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Dear Alto California Birders,
      I just spent 5 days birding the Baja California (Mexico) Peninsula with 3 friends, returning early this morning. There were several birds that I feel should be posted because the birds mentioned below were out of range. Trip participants: Paul Keller, Lisa Walent, Nathaniel Wander, and myself.
      If you have never birded the peninsula, and would like to hear about the expected "regular" birds that we saw, such as Xantus' Hummingbird and Gray Thrasher, I will be happy to reply.
      BC = Baja California (the northern state)
      BCS = Baja California Sur (the southern state)
      Catavina BC: one male Common Grackle (bronzed race)yesterday (12/1/03)with 3 female/imm. Great-tailed Grackles. Photos were not taken due to the waning light, which was fine for observing the bird, but not for photography. Is this a first for Mexico? We desire to submit written documentation, but do not know who to submit it to.

      San Ignacio BCS: Mangrove Swallow, male Orchard Oriole along the river

      Mulege BCS: 6 Lewis' Woodpeckers on palms along the Rio Mayo, where the river empties into the Sea of Cortez

      Guerrero Negro city park (the only park in town): 2 American Redstarts, 1 fem. Black & White Warbler, 1 female Orchard Oriole, 2 Red-naped Sapsuckers
      Highway 1 that runs the length of the peninsula was in good condition, as usual, but we almost hit a black cow on the pitch black asphalt at 6:00 pm last night. Drive slowly at night, or not at all on the peninsula.

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C