Re: [CALBIRDS] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi LaCo Birders,

      The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher continued today at Bracket Airport. Southwest
      Bird Study Club arrived at the airport about 11 AM, and searched all the
      fences, wires, and tree-tops without success. We broke for lunch. As we
      finished, Rick, Donalda, and Valorie from Pomona Valley AS were standing by
      the STOP sign described in Kathi's directions looking at something. I
      walked over, and they had the bird sitting on a wire between them and the
      airport. After a while, the bird flew across the parking lot to the top of
      a tree, where it sat for a time. It was last seen flying south towards some
      trees on the hill next to the golf course. We did not see any Cassin's
      Kingbirds in the area.

      At 01:49 PM 2003-11-02 -0800, Kathi Ellsworth wrote:
      >The Scissor-tail and the Kingbirds were flycatching from
      >telephone/electrical wires near the Bracket Airfield parking lot at the
      >end of McKinley Ave in LaVerne. Page 600 in Los Angeles/Orange County
      >Thomas Guide. From the 10 Fwy take Fairplex Drive north then west (left
      >at McKinley) to the airport parking lot. From the 210 take Fruit St exit
      >south to Arrow, then west on Arrow to Fairplex Drive. South on Fairplex
      >to a "T" intersection, then west (right) to the end and the airport
      >parking lot.
      >
      > From the parking lot, you can see a gate on the southwest side with a
      > STOP sign hanging in the center. The road continues into Bonelli Park,
      > but the birds were very near that gate, flycatching from the wires going
      > across the road and from the fences of the airport and Bonelli.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...
    • Adam Searcy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
        Since this is only posted on the birdbox and hasn't made any lists;
        there was apparently a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on the headlands of
        Andrew Molera State park today in Monterey county. Good Birding,

        Adam Searcy
        Santa Cruz