Santa Catalina Island, 1-2 Nov.

  • Matt Sadowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      Thanks to those who responded to my RFI about Santa Catalina Island. It was
      interesting to wake up in the morning to the yacking of Acorn Woodpeckers,
      cooing of Spotted Doves, and battling of the sedentary Allen's Hummingbirds.

      The most interesting sight on the ferry from Dana Point was a water
      funnel/spout before we even left the harbor. We then proceeded to head
      straight into that system, so seabirding was pretty cold and wet for awhile.
      I still manage to see 38 Black-vented Shearwaters, 3 Northern Fulmars (one
      light morph), 2 Pink-footed Shearwaters, 32 Bonaparte's Gulls, 1 Red
      Phalarope, 1 Cassin's Auklet, and 1 Ocean Sunfish.

      The only eastern vagrants I managed to find in Avalon were a "Myrtle"
      Yellow-rumped Warbler at Descanso Cove and an Eastern Phoebe on the golf
      course along Avalon Canyon Drive. The American Crows continue (at least 8 at
      the golf course and 1 at the harbor). Two Northern Fulmars were paddling
      around very close to the rocks at Lover's Cove.

      Endemic subspecies I saw were Catalina California Quail (C. c.
      catalinensis), sedentary Allen's Hummingbird (S. s. sedentarius), Catalina
      Hutton's Vireo (V. h. unitti), Catalina Bewick's Wren (T. b. catalinae), San
      Clemente Spotted Towhee (P. m. clementae), and San Clemente House Finch (C.
      m. clementis). Dusky Orange-crowned Warblers (V. c. sordida) were also seen,
      but were not new to me as they occur on Pt. Loma, SD. The House Finches
      appeared to have bigger bills and shorter tails, approaching Purple Finch is
      shape. The Spotted Towhees definitely have a mew-like call unlike what I'm
      used to in SD, although I did hear two individuals that gave the typical
      mainland call.

      The evening trip back (while it was still light enough to see) produced 9
      Northern Fulmars, and nothing else.

      I have posted photos of the Eastern Phoebe and a Northern Fulmar in the
      photo section rarities folder of LACOBIRDS.

      Matt Sadowski
      San Diego, CA
      calopteryx@...