Northern Fulmar die-off

  • tertial
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      FYI, a very large Northern Fulmar die-off is taking place, with large
      numbers of dead emaciated NOFU being found on beaches from at least
      Monterey Bay to Newport, OR. In Monterey Bay the other day, 300
      fresh dead fulmars were counted along a 24 mile stretch (Stillwell
      Hall to New Brighton) (12.5 birds/mile). In Oregon, 74 dead fulmars
      were found in a 4.6 mile stretch of beach on one morning last week
      (16 birds/mile). Also in Oregon, a freshly dead unscavenged NOFU was
      found in a forest at Willapa NWR.

      all for now,

      Steve Hampton
      Calif Dept of Fish and Game
    • Gjon_Hazard@r1.fws.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        In San Diego County, we're having a number (many dozens, if not hundreds)
        of Northern Fulmars wash up on the beach. They are generally being found
        dead or in a weakened state. Most, from what I've heard, are emaciated.
        It is my understanding that this is a result of a "natural" event (i.e., no
        DIRECT link to a man-made event, like an oil spill). It is also my
        understanding that ONLY fulmars are washing up. Am I correct in my
        understandings? Do any of you out there have any solid information
        regarding this phenomenon? Thanks.

        Cheers,
        -Gj

        ====================================