Brown Booby on SCI

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      Birders

      A juvenile Brown Booby was found at China Point 1 November, with the
      continuing Masked Booby. This is the first record of Brown Booby for San Clemente
      Island. I saw the bird again yesterday and had a good look at the underwing. I
      photographed the bird extensively. It has rather dull pink legs and feet,
      much like the nearby Western Gulls. Has anyone else noted the variation in leg
      color of young Brown Booby? Nothing else about this bird is suggestive of
      Red-footed Booby. Both of these birds should be visible from a boat looking at
      the rock on the southwest tip of the island (If anyone happens to be heading out
      this way fishing).

      Other birds of note on San Clemente Island have been an island first
      Black-throated Green Warbler, more Red-throated Pipits, Lapland and Chestnut-collared
      Longspurs, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Lewis's
      Woodpeckers and a returning (I presume) drake hybrid Green-winged/Common Teal.

      thanks

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108