Salton Sea Oct 24

  • Paul Fox
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2003
      I dashed to the Sea today and in a bit over half a day managed one life
      bird, Ruddy Ground-Dove and a few nice sightings. Most of the birds
      listed below were seen at multiple places but only the first place is
      listed. Saw only three Cranes but thousands of Ibis.

      Common Raven Cabizon
      Pied-billed Grebe obsidian Butte
      Brown Pelican 84th St @ Sea
      Brown Pelican obsidian Butte
      Great Blue Heron obsidian Butte
      Reddish Egret 84th St @ Sea
      Snowy Egret 84th St @ Sea
      Cattle Egret keystone N of 111
      White-faced Ibis keystone N of 111
      Turkey Vulture eddins / Sperry
      Osprey 84th St @ Sea
      Northern Harrier obsidian Butte
      Red-tailed Hawk Indio
      Red-tailed Hawk eddins / Sperry
      American Kestrel eddins / Sperry
      Peregrine Falcon Sinclair Rd.
      Ruddy Duck 84th St @ Sea
      Sandhill Crane keystone N of 111
      American Coot 84th St @ Sea
      Laughing Gull obsidian Butte
      Ring-billed Gull 84th St @ Sea
      Ring-billed Gull garst
      California Gull 84th St @ Sea
      Herring Gull 84th St @ Sea
      Caspian Tern garst
      Black-necked Stilt garst
      Killdeer 84th St @ Sea
      Killdeer garst
      Marbled Godwit 84th St @ Sea
      Long-billed Curlew garst
      Lesser Yellowlegs obsidian Butte
      Willet 84th St @ Sea
      Black Turnstone obsidian Butte
      Least Sandpiper garst
      Feral Pigeon eddins / Sperry
      Eurasian Collared Dove eddins / Sperry
      Mourning Dove eddins / Sperry
      Common Ground-dove eddins / Sperry
      Ruddy Ground-Dove eddins / Sperry
      Inca Dove eddins / Sperry
      Western Kingbird eddins / Sperry
      Northern Mockingbird eddins / Sperry
      Western Meadowlark english Rd.
      Great-tailed Grackle eddins / Sperry
      Brewer's Blackbird eddins / Sperry
      House Finch eddins / Sperry
      Black-headed Grosbeak eddins / Sperry
      Paul Fox
    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2003
        Paul,

        Looking through the list of birds, I find Black Turnstone, Western Kingbird
        and Black-headed Grosbeak of extreme note.

        The Black Turnstone is a casual fall transient through the Salton Sink, with
        one winter record. A Black Turnstone was at Obsidian Butte 4-6 weeks ago,
        but up to six basic-plumage Ruddy Turnstones is all that I have seen there
        recently. How carefully did you study the Black Turnstone you reported?

        Most Western Kingbirds have departed the Salton Sink by early September.
        One near Niland on 24 October 2000 is the latest migrant recorded at the
        Salton Sink, other than a presumed wintering bird near Calipatria 18
        December 1986. A very few Cassin's Kingbirds have been recorded in the
        Salton Sink between late October and late February, and there are four fall
        records for Tropical Kingbird for the area. Both of these yellow-bellied
        kingbirds would be every bit as likely as a Western Kingbird at this time of
        the year, but any yellow-bellied kingbird would be an extreme rarity in late
        October. Were you aware of the significance of the sighting at the time of
        your observation, and did you take the time to carefully identify it to
        species?

        Black-headed Grosbeaks are uncommon fall transients through the Salton Sink,
        with records between 13 July (1971) and 18 September (1994), and with most
        in the first half of August. There are no winter records for the area.
        Rose-breasted Grosbeaks on the other hand, though much rarer in the Salton
        Sink, have been recorded in fall between 9 August (1997) and 22 November
        (1999), along with two in winter (22 December 1992 and 11 February 1990).
        Again, I must ask how carefully you studied the bird you reported as a
        Black-headed Grosbeak?

        I find it remarkable that one can "dash" to the Salton Sea, and in
        half-a-day of birding see three species that those of us regularly birding
        the area would consider remarkable at this time of the year. To top it off,
        you give no indication that you knew any of the three were unusual, instead
        point out that you saw "only three Cranes", and suggest some of these three
        species may have been "seen at multiple places".

        Guy McCaskie
        954 Grove Avenue
        Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        TEL 619-423-7524

        > I dashed to the Sea today and in a bit over half a day managed one life
        > bird, Ruddy Ground-Dove and a few nice sightings. Most of the birds
        > listed below were seen at multiple places but only the first place is
        > listed. Saw only three Cranes but thousands of Ibis.
        >
        > Common Raven Cabizon
        > Pied-billed Grebe obsidian Butte
        > Brown Pelican 84th St @ Sea
        > Brown Pelican obsidian Butte