Black-bellied Whistling Duck

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2003
      I just got a call from Caroline Nabeta in Hollister. She reports a
      Black-bellied Whistling Duck from the Ridgemark Golf Course today
      around noon. She noted the pinkish-reddish bill and the black belly.
      The Ridgemark Golf Course is in a private community and access is
      through membership/homeownership, so the bird is not chaseable where it
      was seen. Unlike the Vermilion Flycatcher that Caroline also found a
      few years ago at the same golf course, this duck is on one of the
      interior ponds. Access has not yet been addressed.

      Not knowing how to evaluate if the bird appeared to have features of
      captivity, I could not tell her what to look for. If anyone is aware of
      the likelihood of this species being in live collections, has a
      propensity to wander, or how one might assess an apparently mobile bird
      for signs of captivity, it would be helpful if you would post what you
      know.

      She will check to see if the bird is still around in the morning and
      will let me know.

      Hollister is in San Benito County, south of Gilroy, east of San Juan
      Bautista.

      Les Chibana, Palo Alto
    • Frances Oliver
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2012
        Steve,

        Todd Easterla sent me a note that he, Fritz Steurer, & Lisa Jorgensen saw the bird on Sunday. Not sure of the time. A friend and I will be check for it tomorrow.

        Frances
        Lodi, CA
      • Todd Easterla
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2012
          All,

          The Black-bellied Whistling Duck was sleeping when we (Myself, Lisa and
          Fritz) left it at around 10:45AM last Sunday the 27th. The small pond
          (drying up slowly) where it was being seen is probably getting too little
          for the birds own safety net and has possibly found another spot nearby like
          the cattail ponds to the West a couple hundred yards, maybe.

          Todd Easterla

          Rancho Cordova, Ca