RE: [CALBIRDS] RFI Ruddy Ground Dove, Imperial County

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      Hi all, and Gordon!

      The Ruddy Ground-Doves are still being seen near the intersection of Sperry
      and Eddins Roads, west of Calipatria. There were a minimum of six
      individuals there on 2 Oct. Standing on the ditch bank, on the north side
      and a little west of the intersection, and scanning the area around the pig
      pens can be productive. If there is little activity there, walk south along
      Sperry, to the house on the south side of the fenced equipment yard. The
      RUGD are often seen sitting on the fence or in the large Eucalyptus tree
      beside the driveway. The owner of the house puts out seed by a very small
      pond at the base of the Eucalyptus and the area can be seen well from the
      roadside at the entrance to their driveway. The residents of the area are
      friendly and welcome birders on good behavior.

      A note on a few larger... drastically larger birds from today. 197 Sandhill
      Cranes gathered at their usual evening spot behind the grain warehouse on
      Carey Road, south of Brawley and east of Hwy 86. 12 of them were juvenile
      birds. One of the adults was wearing a radio and had a yellow band on each
      leg with the number 327. What first caught my eye about the bird was that
      it was still very rusty colored overall, more so than any of the others of
      which some were still pretty colorful. I left the spot about 6pm so there
      were probably a good numbers of Sandhills that had not flown into their
      gathering place yet. They typically all fly out from this location just as
      the sun sets and move to their night roosting area, which changes through
      the season, but is generally in the area of Dogwood and Keystone or Harris
      Roads.

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER