Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: avian invasion - PIJA and LEWO

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      Sorry, the attempt to tack this info from SBA and SLO failed the first
      time. Here is it. D. Roberson

      "Mark Holmgren of UC Santa Barbara had 19 Lewis's Woodpeckers September
      27
      and 1 today.

      "I'm not sure if I'm reporting on bird migration or insect swarms here,
      but on Figueroa Mtn. and Ranger Peaks this Saturday, 27 Sept 03, I and
      two friends, Galen Pittman and David Seibel, both Kansas birders, drove
      to Figueroa Mtn where we saw two interesting bird behaviors. First, we
      witnessed more Lewis' Woodpeckers than I have ever seen previously in
      one day. We watched no fewer than 7 woodpeckers over the Pino Alto Camp
      at Figueroa. All were flying NW. Then at Ranger Peak we watched at
      least 8 Lewis' Woodpeckers beneath the canopy of oak trees. 4 more LeWo
      were seen elsewhere near these two peaks. Approx. 19 birds were seen in
      total. At one point 6 woodpeckers at a time were flycatching very
      swallow-like over the pines near the summit of Ranger Peak.
      Second, at both the summits were large numbers (perhaps 150, perhaps
      many more) of swallows and all that were close enough to identify were
      Violet-greens.
      It was very hot (low to mid 90sF) in both places.
      Mark Holmgren"

      Tom Edell had an Acorn Woodpecker near the coast Sunday in SLO County.

      An ACORN WOODPECKER was perched in a willow snag near
      the mouth of Oso Flaco Creek (this species has been reported from many
      atypical locations/habitats this fall

      Mark Brown
      Santa Maria"